Monday, May 26, 2008

Lets Remember Those Who Gave Their Lives to Keep Us Free

On this Memorial Day holiday, I believe we should show the proper respect for those who paid the ultimate price to help maintain our freedoms. Although I may not agree with every decision made by our government over the years to become involved in wars all over the globe, I still believe those who laid down their lives should be remembered. The men and women who died during conflicts to protect our values and freedoms did so without questioning their reasons for being there, or what they were fighting for, they knew how important it was to protect U. S. citizens from tyranny and those who would take away our freedoms.

To say they were unselfish is an understatement. They laid down their very lives to help keep us free, and should be remembered as such. I grew up during the Korean and Vietnam conflicts, and although a small lad during the Korean conflict, I do remember the Vietnam conflict very well. During the 1960s and early 1970s war protestors disrupted college campuses, and held marches and rallies protesting the war in Vietnam. Although I too was against the war, I had nothing but the utmost respect for those who did go and fight, and die for us. I know that we often get involved in conflicts to further our own selfish economic ends, but I find it hard to hold those who give up their lives in these conflicts somehow responsible for starting or furthering the conflicts. Just think what could have happened if our troops refused to go to fight in Europe or the Pacific during World War II, we might all be speaking German right now, and be under a military dictatorship.

I know deep in my heart, and believe with all my soul, that many of the conflicts we have been involved in over the years have not all been justified or supported by the majority of citizens. Yet I find it difficult not to have anything but the greatest respect for those Americans who did lay down their lives in those conflicts. On this Memorial Day, I want to say thank you to those who died to protect my rights and freedoms, and God bless them and keep them. To the families of those fallen heroes, let me just say you should be proud of your loved ones who died for us, and let us never forget that they died for us, and to keep us safe and strong as a nation.

No comments: